The Big Picture
- More competition, lower costs
- National markets, less fragmentation
- Equal tax treatment, less favoritism
- Individual mandate and Medicaid expansion are needed to offset the unfunded mandate imposed by the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) of 1986, but should not cover more
- State-based, government-operated insurance markets must be expanded and converted into nationwide, privately run insurance markets that bolster competition
- Continue to break the employment-insurance link by eliminating tax breaks for employer-provided insurance
- Eliminate specific taxes -- for example, on medical devices and net investment income -- that are embedded in the broad law.